Tuesday, February 14, 2012

February 14th

Valentine's Day. I always forget this holiday exists, honestly.

A few weeks ago, one of my closer friends told me about how he disliked this day. After all, the nature of the day itself is to celebrate those involved in romantic relationships, I suppose it would be fair for the uninvolved to be less happy. I never noticed it though. The extent of this holiday for me was Elementary school kids passing around silly cards to everyone in the room. I don't think anyone could feel left out in that situation. As I moved on through middle and high school, the holiday just stopped existing for the most part. I think in high school one year some afterschool club ran a silly "matchmaking" test that you could pay a few bucks to see your results, but that's it. I can't remember any people going out of their way to make single people feel bad, or any single people going out of their way to express that they were miserable. I'm sure other schools had things much differently, but here there was pretty much nothing.

In general, it's a waste of a holiday, in my opinion. There shouldn't need to be a specific day to express your feelings to your partner, maybe an anniversary for something special, but Valentine's Day seems too much of a commercialized thing to have any meaning.

The Mass Effect 3 Demo came out today for PC, though. That certainly makes this an okay day this year.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, tend to forget Valentine's Day. I only found cause to write on my blog as a result of seeing others do so and considering my own thoughts and issues on the matter of romantic relationships.

    I wonder sometimes if a time will come when every day will labeled as a holiday of one sort or another, making all holidays unimportant and somehow resetting the calendar so that no days are special anymore. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really care for Valentine's Day much. I mean sure, I'd like to have a date or a present just once though. :P

    ReplyDelete