Monday, April 9, 2012

Ancient Music [Civ V]

I've been playing a lot of Civilization V lately. Originally, I had decided that I preferred Civ V's combat system, but Civ IV's music and diplomacy system. After coming back to the latest installment and actually playing it for a good amount of time, I think I was mistaken about the music somewhat. There is a lot of excellent music in Civ IV, still, but I've actually listened to the full songs from Civ V now and discovered that the developers were using more real music than the previous game did. Nearly all of the leader songs are based on some actual song relating to that culture, and the background music isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. [The diplomacy is still terrible...]

Anyway, I liked several of the leader themes, but the two that have stood out as the most interesting history-wise are the themes for Alexander [Greece] and Nebuchadnezzar [Babylon]. Alexander's theme in this game is a version of the Seikilos Epitaph. It is the oldest example of a "complete" musical composition that survived for modern people to find it. A short melody that was inscribed on to a tombstone, of all things, is now used in a video game almost 2000 years later. Nebuchadnezzar's theme is based on a Hurrian Hymn dating back to approximately 1400 BC. This is much older than the Seikilos Epitaph, but this Hymn [A Zaluzi to the Gods] is incomplete. I just find it amazing to think that any music surviving that long would still be listened to. Both songs are fairly simple, but quite interesting after looking up different versions.
I like the translation for the lyrics of the Seikilos Epitaph:

While you live, shine
Don't suffer anything at all;
Life exists only a short while
And time demands its toll.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting insights into some things that I have turned off on Civ V. I may have to turn the music back on and actually listen to it -- I had forgotten that the game had music at all!

    ReplyDelete